Friday, April 11, 2008

What Is That Smell???

Turkey egg count is at 18!! So far no baby chicks.

So, last week, I came home from work to find that the house smelled AWFUL!! Like something crawled in back of a cupboard and died awful! So immediately I bagged up all the trash and took it outside and opened the windows, it was a balmy 50 degrees and the sun was out, so what the heck.
That was a bit better, but the stench lingered. Pulled out the stove to look and see if something fell behind and was trying to crawl off, checked cupboards to see if something was dead, even took all the shoes and boots outside. Nothing.
So the next day, as I was sitting on the steps to put my boots on, I noticed that the odor was particularly strong right there, looked to my left, and right by the door was a small package of DEAD bait! Took the cover off, and yup! That's what it was. The cat got a treat. Hubby, not so much!

The fact that this surprised me in itself surprised me. Can you be surprised at yourself for being surprised by something you shouldn't have been surprised by?

Every other year we take an extensive family reunion. 5 or 6 years back we took a cruise, went to the Caribbean, did the snorkeling and diving thing. Laid on the beach and cooked, drank B52's at night at the piano bar and generally hung loose while the kids took over the ship. Seriously, there were 22 of us, but it was a blast!

One of our activities was to feed the stingrays in Grand Cayman. What do they eat? Bait! Or to be more specific, pieces of dead squid.

Hubby, being the fisherman that he is, decided to save his for fishing on whatever island we would be on the next day. In his tacklebox. In our cabin. Under the bed. And forgot about it. Do you see where I'm going with this?

After about day 3 the cabin STUNK!! I had no idea why, so I took valuable laying in the sun time and valuable B52 quarters and washed everything in the cabin. Shoes, clothes, bathing suits, the only thing that didn't get washed was the clothes we were wearing. Everything got washed and still the cabin just smelled. Well, they're kind of closed off and don't get a lot of circulation so I figured give it a day or so to air out, left the door open and endured the looks of passerbys who surely wondered what we were cooking in there that smelled so bad.

A few days later the cabin smelled a bit better probably because we had left the door open so much, it was time to pack up and move on. Hubby grabbed his tacklebox, opened it and just started laughing. When he showed me the dead squid from a week before I was not happy. I wasn't laughing, at the time it wasn't laughable. Now it is, but at the time.... not so much.

So last week when I found the package of minnows waiting to be released into the compost I just had to shake my head and laugh. Next time, it just may end up in his truck!!

On another note, the Red Wings won last night 3-1 against the Predators. Sorry, lady in resale shop who was a Preds fan. GREAT GAME. Very entertaining, fast paced and everything I've come to expect from my Wings. Next game is on Saturday. Gotta pull off best 4 out of 7 to advance to the next round. Go Wings!!



No comments: