Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Care and Feeding

Sometimes, in my world, the care and feeding of 2 people takes 5 people to pull it off.
Take this morning, if I didn't have my daughter, The Mouth, to help me I would be running in circles, and riding babies on my bike.
My Dad requires not so much constant care, but pretty much constant supervision. Most of the time this isn't a problem, there is my Mother, The Mouth, and myself, and Hubby, and The Monkey's Mother to make this happen. Piece of Cake.
My 2 year old granddaughter (The Monkey) lives with us, as does her mother. This morning, her mother got called into work early. No, problem, we'll just adjust accordingly. We're holding strong at 4 people to watch 2 people. It's all good. My Mother had to go out of town, ok, we can still do this, there's still 3 people to look after 2 people, and assuming that one has to be on the road from point A to point B, we're still holding at 2 people looking after 2 people. This still works unless they have to switch places, which is what happens regularly.
This morning, after all the calling into work happened and my Mother left. I was at home with the 2 year old, who really, by all intents, just can't be left alone. It wouldn't be good. She'd, I don't know, get into markers or something. She'd probably have Bu-Dawgh tied up in the barn and all colored blue. She'd have a grand old time, but in this day and age, you just don't leave 2 year olds unattended. While normally she'd be sleeping until maybe 9 or 10, this morning, she decided to get up with the sun, so hubby had to watch her while I went out and did chores. Easy enough, put her in the tub, she's fairly well contained and old enough to sit and play.
Hubby can watch her while I go to Dad's and then The Mouth can come to my house and babysit the 2 year old while Hubby goes to work.
I need a chart. I need to speak to someone in Human Resources, because sometimes I don't have enough Human Resources to get this all done. You'd think that 5 people vs 2 people would be a hefty enough ratio to avoid all manner of glitches.

We pulled it off, The Mouth and I, got it all under control and now everyone is where they are supposed to be. I feel like I've misplaced someone, or forgotten to feed someone.
But what would life be like if it was all easy and predictable and stuff? It's always good, never boring, and most of the time, it's even fun.

And, this weekend, is the Northern Michigan Fiber Festival at the fairgrounds here. I can't wait. I've had all those bases covered for months. I will go. I will not be in charge of anyone. Let someone else do this for just 2 short days. I will be face down, drooling in yarn.
Deal with it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I just have to take care of animals. Throwing chicken scratch in the backyard and pouring a cup of dog food in the bowl is a piece of cake!