Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Oh Where, Oh Where Did My Garden Go?

You may or may not have guessed, but today's topic is my garden. It's not really a big garden, only probably about 1/2 acre, but it can sure grow some weeds! The vegies grow good too, during the winter it's a horse pasture, but previously, it has held pigs, chix and turks, cattle, sheep and a goat or two. Yup. The soil's mighty fine!

This is NOT a picture of my garden! I wish it looked so good! I won't share a before picture, it's awful. Terrible. Shameful really! That I would have let it get so out of control, but I'll try to take an after picture. I expect to unearth pickles, beans, tomatos and peppers. That's all I remember planting, but who knows, even after my valiant efforts to rid the garden of zucchini, I'm still there is some that has survived.


Oh, yeah, I planted garlic and potatoes too. Oh, and onions! I really should check on those. And, since I plan to try to overwinter inside some tomatoes and peppers, I need to think about where in the world that little experiment will live for the next 8 months.
Back to the garden. I will pull, tug, hoe, shovel, toss, and otherwise eliminate most of the weeds that have covered my carefully cultivated lines of yummy vegies. (Don't expect a lot, my rows were never really all that straight to start with!) I will emerge victorious, and maybe even with some produce to show for it!
And, to keep myself on track and focused, I PROMISE I will post a picture of the finished results (I didn't say what year I plan to do this), and then you can see for yourself, that I can indeed finish a simple task or two once in awhile.
Although this task will not be simple, and will most likely involve a Parrot Bay or 3, it will get done. I want to see a weedfree garden more than you do, trust me on this. I also have to find the weedcloth I put down earlier to make this easier, it's buried under the weeds, and since our frost date is just about apon us, I need to know where to spread out the plastic, tarps, sheets... to cover this valuable produce. No need to protect the weeds from the frost, they can take it.
Tomorrow... a report... and maybe a picture or two!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My garden looks the complete opposite of yours. Maybe next year I'll have a garden also.

Terrye said...

I'll send ya some dirt. Got some really good stuff!

Terrye said...

I'll send ya some dirt. Got some really good stuff!